Rants and raves about stuff happening in and around my life in Singapore

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Mega Mac

9:03 PM By Barry Smyth , No comments

I meant to write this post some time ago but never got round to it, but since I was updating my Blog recently I thought I'd throw it in there.

Yes, this post is about the Mega Mac, a burger that was here in Singapore for a while and one which the Japanese can't seem to get enough of.

Hasn't everyone seen the movie Super Size Me ......


..... a 2004 American documentary film directed by and starring Morgan Spurlock?. Spurlock's film follows a 30-day time period (February to beginning of March 2003) during which he eats only McDonald's food.

As a result, the then-32-year-old Spurlock gained 24½ lbs. (1¾ stone, 11.1 kg), a 13% body mass increase, a cholesterol level of 230, and experienced mood swings, sexual dysfunction, and liver damage. It took Spurlock fourteen months to lose the weight gained from his experiment.

Of course critics of the film, including McDonald's, argue that the author intentionally consumed an average of 5,000 calories per day (more than twice the recommended daily amount for most people).

Now 5 years later MacDonalds has gone Mega and introduced the world to the Mega Mac (one of their new Mega offerings).

And the Mega Mac, well according to MacDonalds nutrition info (for some strange reason I find myself laughing), it's got 750 calories and 46 grams of fat in it. In the regular "set" menu, it includes a medium fries (420 cal., 22g/fat) and a medium coke (140 cal.), for a whopping total of 1,310 calories and 68 grams of fat.

Personally I'll be giving it a miss. I may not always eat healthily but for me that's pushing the boundaries a just a little too far.


Whatsapp Line

0 comments:

Post a Comment