Rants and raves about stuff happening in and around my life in Singapore

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

An Apple a Day

3:08 PM By Barry Smyth No comments

I went out looking for a new laptop recently thinking that with the computer fair on here in Singapore it was probably the best time to buy. Special deals, discounts, freebies and all that. My old laptop had always been a little sluggish so it was time to upgrade.

So I fought my way through hordes of people, pushing, shoving and stepping on little children (who had no right to be there in the first place) intent on visiting each and every stall. I had an idea of what I wanted in my spanking new laptop and knew up front that Windows Vista wasn't on the list.

However, no matter what new model of laptop I looked at nearly every one of them came bundled with Vista installed. Upon asking I found that the majority had no Windows XP version available. No matter how many stalls I went to this response started to become the norm. I don't know if Windows Vista is good or not, the jury is still out on that one, but I didn't want it and I was pissed off to find that as a consumer a choice was being forced on me.

So I got to thinking (well it was either that or lie down on the floor kicking and screaming like a baby). Windows Vista is effectively a Mac clone (anyone who thinks otherwise need some serious medical attention, preferably in a padded cell with electrodes attached to specially shaved areas) so why not look at a Mac as an option.

The Mac OS is stable and has been for years. So as scary as it was I threw out all thoughts of getting a windows based laptop and purchased a Mac Book instead. Yes I have bungee jumped into the world of Apple.

So .... flipping two fingers on one hand to everyone in Microsoft, and two fingers on the other hand to the computer industry that tried to impose its choice on me .... I'm off to play with my new sexy sleek wonderfully black Mac!


Whatsapp Line

0 comments:

Post a Comment